The Conduct of Children

Part 5 – Extracts from the School Log Books – The Conduct of Children

This section is something of a miscellany. It contains entries dealing with behaviour and record of attendance of pupil and also the type of punishments. It also attempts to indicate what the actual school population was at various times. Read more

Work

Part 4 – Extracts from the School Log Books – Work

In 1877 the era of payment-by-results was in its fifteenth year and although the narrowness of the original scheme had been to some extent mitigated by merit grants and other measures, the visit of Her Majesty’s Inspector for the annual examination remained the event around which the whole school year revolved. As the school’s grant for the following year still depended mainly on the number of pupils who attended more than one hundred days and the results of those over six years old in a reading, writing and arithmetic test, the inspector’s visit was always preceded by the checking of registers, chasing of errant pupils and much practice in examination of the 3Rs. His annual reports has to be copied into the log book and several extracts from these are printed below. Read more

Origin of the School

Part 2 – Extracts from the School Log Books – The Origin of the School

The starting point is the 1870 Education Act which provided for the creation of School Boards, elected by ratepayers, to provide schools where existing educational provision was inadequate. Read more

Intro

Extracts Framwellgate Moor Schools Log Books – Part 1

The school log book is a very variable form of historical document. Its purpose was to record events of varied nature – at an early stage it contained, verbatim, inspectors reports. In its pages we can glimpse at the working of a school, gain some knowledge of the condition of the buildings and have a school eye view of national and local events. Read more

The School Buildings

Part 3 – Extracts from the School Log Books – The School Buildings

In 1877 a red brick building was erected on the eastern side of the main village street between St. Aidan’s Church and the Marquis of Granby. This building was called Framwellgate Moor Board School and consisted of three classrooms, one for boys, one for girls and a room opening off the girls’ for infants. There was also a Board Room and adjoining the southern end a house for the Master. Read more