Another fascinating addition to the Framwellgate Moor archive, Greme Vasey’s A Village Trail, was written when he was a student at framwellgate Moor Comprehensive School in 1999. Much has changed and much has been lost in the thirty years or so since George Brown was writing. Glimpses of the past can still be discerned in […]
The Parish Council were fascinated to find a bit of local history, describing how the KGV Playing Fields first came about, and we thought this would be something of interest to our local parishioners. If have any further information or facts, then please let us know so that we can continue to add to the story of how the St Georges’s Fields came about.
The King George’s Fields Foundation was set up as a national scheme in March 1936 to commemorate the recent death of His Royal Highness King George V. To administer the project the King George’s Fields Foundation (KGFF) was constituted by Trust Deed in 1936. The Trust Deed defined a playing field as ‘any open space used for the purpose of outdoor games, sports and pastimes’.
All 471 of the playing fields were styled and called ‘King George’s Fields’. The network consists of fields throughout the UK and each playing field has the distinctive heraldic plaques on the entrance gates. The fields are as relevant to local communities now as they were when they were originally created.
We were pivotal in the creation of the project and in 1965 the NPFA became the Trustee of the Charity widening the objects of the Foundation to include the ‘preservation’ in addition to ‘establishment’ of the King George’s Fields.
Preview George Brown’s account of the transformation of the Ash Pit in his “Pages from My Scrapbook – The Ash Heap Transformed”
The King George’s Fields Foundation: www.fieldsintrust.org/
About Framwellgate Moor Parish Council
- External Audit Notice2nd July 2018 - 9:03 am
- GDPR(EU General Data Protection Regulations) news22nd May 2018 - 2:33 pm
- Framwellgate Moor – a village Trail by Graeme Vasey7th September 2016 - 10:59 am
- The Bowling Green and Pavilion are fully open1st June 2016 - 8:48 pm
- Durham Tees Valley Probation Trust11th February 2015 - 2:35 pm
Mr D Temple