King George’s Fields

The Parish Council were fascinated to find a bit of local history, describing how the KGV Playing Fields first came about, and we thought this would be something of interest to our local parishioners.  If have any further information or facts, then please let us know so that we can continue to add to the story of how the St Georges’s Fields came about.

The King George’s Fields Foundation was set up as a national scheme in March 1936 to commemorate the recent death of His Royal Highness King George V. To administer the project the King George’s Fields Foundation (KGFF) was constituted by Trust Deed in 1936. The Trust Deed defined a playing field as ‘any open space used for the purpose of outdoor games, sports and pastimes’.

All 471 of the playing fields were styled and called ‘King George’s Fields’. The network consists of fields throughout the UK and each playing field has the distinctive heraldic plaques on the entrance gates. The fields are as relevant to local communities now as they were when they were originally created.

We were pivotal in the creation of the project and in 1965 the NPFA became the Trustee of the Charity widening the objects of the Foundation to include the ‘preservation’ in addition to ‘establishment’ of the King George’s Fields.

Interesting Resources

Preview George Brown’s account of the transformation of the Ash Pit in his “Pages from My Scrapbook – The Ash Heap Transformed

The King George’s Fields Foundation:  also gives an overview of the scheme.

This is a Wikipedia list of all playing fields in the UK produced under that scheme:

Extracts Framwellgate Moor Schools Log Books – Part 1

The school log book is a very variable form of historical document. Its purpose was to record events of varied nature – at an early stage it contained, verbatim, inspectors reports. In its pages we can glimpse at the working of a school, gain some knowledge of the condition of the buildings and have a school eye view of national and local events. Read more

The School Buildings

Part 3 – Extracts from the School Log Books – The School Buildings

In 1877 a red brick building was erected on the eastern side of the main village street between St. Aidan’s Church and the Marquis of Granby. This building was called Framwellgate Moor Board School and consisted of three classrooms, one for boys, one for girls and a room opening off the girls’ for infants. There was also a Board Room and adjoining the southern end a house for the Master. Read more