Another fascinating addition to the Framwellgate Moor archive, Greme Vasey’s A Village Trail, was written when he was a student at framwellgate Moor Comprehensive School in 1999. Much has changed and much has been lost in the thirty years or so since George Brown was writing. Glimpses of the past can still be discerned in […]
This is an appendix to the book and describes Framwellgate Moor as it was pre 1925. The photographs at the back of the pdf are front and back views of of Newcastle Row (courtesy of Beamish Museum). The book is in the Clayport library in Durham. Coal and Power with FM photographs This an extract from: Framwellgate Moor Parish: historical events of the nineteen hundreds (Adult Non-Fiction) by George Brown. George describes the same scene as David Lloyd George but from an historical perspective. He was born and lived in the rows for most of his life. After a varied career, as parish clerk and newspaper columnist he committed his memoirs to print. This is a short extract of a much larger work: A History of Framwellgate Moor_The Rows
The bowling green and the Pavilion are now fully operational again. Come and have a look sometime to see what improvements have been made. If you click HERE you will be able to see some of the changes that have been made:
Here are two of the before and after pictures taken by Councillor Colin Hillary
We would like to thank Durham Tees Valley Probation Trust for their continued support and assistance in recent projects. The partnership that we have been able to forge with the Probation Trust has lasted many years and it has enabled the Parish to undertake a variety of projects in the local area. Read more
Following a discussion at the council regarding what would best help commemorate the WW1 centenary year, it was decided that the best way to help remember those who passed away was the creation of commemorative plaque.
This section is something of a miscellany. It contains entries dealing with behaviour and record of attendance of pupil and also the type of punishments. It also attempts to indicate what the actual school population was at various times. Read more
In 1877 the era of payment-by-results was in its fifteenth year and although the narrowness of the original scheme had been to some extent mitigated by merit grants and other measures, the visit of Her Majesty’s Inspector for the annual examination remained the event around which the whole school year revolved. As the school’s grant for the following year still depended mainly on the number of pupils who attended more than one hundred days and the results of those over six years old in a reading, writing and arithmetic test, the inspector’s visit was always preceded by the checking of registers, chasing of errant pupils and much practice in examination of the 3Rs. His annual reports has to be copied into the log book and several extracts from these are printed below. Read more
The starting point is the 1870 Education Act which provided for the creation of School Boards, elected by ratepayers, to provide schools where existing educational provision was inadequate. Read more
The Parish Council were fascinated to find a bit of local history, describing how the KGV Playing Fields first came about, and we thought this would be something of interest to our local parishioners. If have any further information or facts, then please let us know so that we can continue to add to the story of how the St Georges’s Fields came about.
The King George’s Fields Foundation was set up as a national scheme in March 1936 to commemorate the recent death of His Royal Highness King George V. To administer the project the King George’s Fields Foundation (KGFF) was constituted by Trust Deed in 1936. The Trust Deed defined a playing field as ‘any open space used for the purpose of outdoor games, sports and pastimes’.
All 471 of the playing fields were styled and called ‘King George’s Fields’. The network consists of fields throughout the UK and each playing field has the distinctive heraldic plaques on the entrance gates. The fields are as relevant to local communities now as they were when they were originally created.
We were pivotal in the creation of the project and in 1965 the NPFA became the Trustee of the Charity widening the objects of the Foundation to include the ‘preservation’ in addition to ‘establishment’ of the King George’s Fields.
Preview George Brown’s account of the transformation of the Ash Pit in his “Pages from My Scrapbook – The Ash Heap Transformed”
The King George’s Fields Foundation: www.fieldsintrust.org/
The school log book is a very variable form of historical document. Its purpose was to record events of varied nature – at an early stage it contained, verbatim, inspectors reports. In its pages we can glimpse at the working of a school, gain some knowledge of the condition of the buildings and have a school eye view of national and local events. Read more
About Framwellgate Moor Parish Council
- External Audit Notice2nd July 2018 - 9:03 am
- GDPR(EU General Data Protection Regulations) news22nd May 2018 - 2:33 pm
- Framwellgate Moor – a village Trail by Graeme Vasey7th September 2016 - 10:59 am
- The Bowling Green and Pavilion are fully open1st June 2016 - 8:48 pm
- Durham Tees Valley Probation Trust11th February 2015 - 2:35 pm
Mr D Temple